Thursday, November 8, 2007


11/8/07 – This morning at 8:01 a.m. I called Warden Chandler’s office and Lori answered the phone I told her that I would be coming down there to see Montell at 1 p.m. today. She told me that I needed a clearance, I told her that Warden Chandler had told me I could come two days during the week and one day on the weekend. She told me she had to check and asked me to hold the line. When she came back on the line she told me that the Warden was on her way in and ask me to hold. When Warden Chandler got on the phone she told me that I just couldn’t call and give her a two-hour notice. I told her that I was making a courtesy call to let her know that I would be in today. I also reminded her of the visitation schedule that she had previously given me. She then stated that I knew that I was coming yesterday because I had called Springfield about the possible move of Montell and had told them that I didn’t want him to go back there to die, which I had. She then stated that she needed to be notified of my visits 24 hours before I came. I also let her know that I would be there this coming Sunday also.

I told her that this had been a rumor for two days however, I’m not known to act on rumors. The hospital staff told me that Montell was being discharged sometime that day when I tried to get them to notify the American Red Cross in order for Leon to be able to come home and be with Montell. This is when I called Springfield to find out if someone could intercede with Montell being transported back to Dixon. The doctor told me that Montell was too weak for any more surgeries at this time and would be returning back to Dixon. I was told that Dixon had been calling about returning him since Monday. He did have the surgery until Tuesday afternoon and I understand they were planning on returning him then.

I arrived at Dixon’s facility at 1 p.m. When I arrived at the Infirmary at 1:20 p.m. I saw Montell lying in the bed on his right side listening to the radio. I noticed that he didn’t have any IV or antibiotics going into his body. Montell’s medical reports states that this should be a long-term procedure. The officer assigned to that floor came in and turned his radio off. Montell let me know that he wanted to hear some more music so I turned it by on. I asked him if he had eaten anything today and he nodded “yes”. I constantly tell him he has to eat to get muscles for me since he tells me I’m his strength.

While sitting besides his bed I noticed that he was having spasms in his upper and lower body. Usually they’re in his legs. Montell wanted to be turnover so I stepped out the room so the nurse and inmate could turn and clean him. After they finished I went back into the room and Montell drifted off to sleep for about fifteen minutes. He then woke up and looked for me. I held his right hand which was unusually warm and assured him that I would never leave him without letting him know. Montell wanted me to say the ABCs and had me repeat them three times and I noticed that he had drifted off to sleep again. He woke up again and told me he wanted a television. I had to leave him at 2:50 p.m. but I told him that I would be back on Sunday and that if he closed his eyes he could see me at all times. I kissed him and walked back to the main gate with the officer.



please stay strong


i want you to know that you aren't along at this time.


you must be strong for your son.